Tax time is finally over, and many Louisiana citizens are breathing a sigh of relief and making plans with this years refunds. If you receive a tax refund each year and have recently moved or married, did you know you could have an unclaimed refund coming to you from a prior tax year?

State Income Tax Refunds

Our Unclaimed Property Division is holding nearly 187,000 unclaimed state income tax refunds worth more than $10 million. The dollar amounts of the tax refunds in our database vary, with some reaching as high as $218,000.

The main reason a refund becomes unclaimed property is because of a wrong address. If an individual moves without a forwarding address, or if an address is not written clearly on a tax form, the refund goes to the state’s Unclaimed Property Division for safekeeping.

We’ve made it very simple to look for an old refund all you have to do is click Unclaimed State Tax Refunds from the main unclaimed property search page at If you prefer, you can also search for an old state tax refund using the Treasury’s main unclaimed property database. If you are able to find money, you can file a claim for it completely online.

Our database only covers tax years 1987 to 2002, so to check the status of this tax years refund, contact the Louisiana Department of Revenue.

Federal Income Tax Refunds

We receive a list of names of Louisiana citizens with unclaimed federal income tax refunds from the IRS each year. The most up-to-date list we have from the IRS includes roughly $1.4 million in federal income tax refunds and child tax credits. Louisiana taxpayers can access this list by clicking Federal Unclaimed Property Information from our main unclaimed property search page.

Wrong addresses are also the main cause of undelivered federal tax refunds. If an individual moves without a forwarding address, or if an address is not written clearly on a tax form, the refund goes back to the IRS.

If you find an unclaimed federal income tax refund, you should call the IRS directly at 1-800-829-1040. They will reissue a check for an undelivered refund once you update your address, and checks for any child tax credits can be claimed as long as tax returns have been filed this year. We want to remind citizens that even though their name may appear on the IRS list, they cannot claim a federal refund or a child tax credit twice if they have already collected their money.

The Louisiana Department of the Treasury is providing this information to the public because government requires us to pay our taxes on time and in the correct amount, and it should be held to the same standard when it has your money. It only takes a few minutes to check for your name, and you can even look up your friends and family members to see if they have refunds coming to them. For more information, or to search for your unclaimed tax refunds, visit our website at