The State Bond Commission approved over $48 million for projects statewide and $11 million in savings by refinancing existing public debt at its December 15th meeting, according to State Treasurer John Kennedy.
“The Bond Commission approved statewide funding for various improvements to infrastructure and public facilities,” said Treasurer Kennedy. “We also saved the taxpayers millions by signing off on refinancings of public debt that will save money on two projects in Lafayette and Livingston Parishes.”
Among the individual projects the Bond Commission approved are:
• East Baton Rouge Parish, City of Zachary, $9.3 million: To construct and acquire improvements and extensions to the sewer system.
• East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana Community Development Authority, Parish of East Baton Rouge Road Improvement Project, $38 million: To construct new public roads and streets and/or the widening of public roads and streets.
• East Carroll Parish, Lake Providence Port Commission, $363,000 Promissory Note: To purchase equipment.
• Natchitoches Parish, Natchitoches Parish Tourist Commission, $500,000 Certificates of Indebtedness: To construct, acquire and improve an office building.
The Commission also approved over $11 million in savings for local government by refinancing existing debts. Among the refinancings approved are:
• Lafayette Parish, Waterworks District South, $551,000 in savings.
• Livingston Parish, Denham Springs Economic Development District, Bass Pro Shops Project, $10.5 million in savings.
The Louisiana State Bond Commission meets monthly to review and approve applications from parishes, municipalities, special taxing districts, and other political subdivisions of the State requesting authority to incur debt.